Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Accy Buses............ (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/accy-buses-27661.html)

Wynonie Harris 14-01-2007 09:30

Re: Accy Buses............

Some more nice pics there, Doug. Maybe we should pool our collections and have an exhibition at the Town Hall! :D

WillowTheWhisp 14-01-2007 14:07

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/a...1&d=1160040151

My friend, her husband (whose name is Dennis), and a bus enthusiast friend and myself were in Peel Street many years ago. She said to her husband, whilst pointing at a bus. "Just look at that woman driving that, Dennis." to which the friend responded. "It's a 'Guy'. " to which Dennis replied. "No, It's definitely a woman!" :D

panther 15-01-2007 09:15

omg...that brings back memories those pics....I remember when we used to hide upstairs, before the conductor came and see if we cud get off before we had to pay, but we always got caught :D

Lolly 15-01-2007 13:48

When did these buses stop being used?? I have a vague recolection of the single decker ones. I was born in 1983.

Brilliant pics anyway.

panther 15-01-2007 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolly (Post 368110)
When did these buses stop being used?? I have a vague recolection of the single decker ones. I was born in 1983.

Brilliant pics anyway.

dunno when they stopped but it was when ribble took over, and in 83 I was 11!!! so I remember them very well....lol

WillowTheWhisp 15-01-2007 18:30

Wasn't it when the buses were deregulated and all the different companies could have a go at competing with each other? At one time you knew where you were with buses, the colour gave you a clue where they were going or had come from.

panther 15-01-2007 18:32

1 Attachment(s)
just found this pic, wonder where it was taken?...before my time...:D Attachment 7944

shillelagh 16-01-2007 00:06

Hyndburn Transport was still going in March 1995. That was after the buses were deregulated that was either october 85 or october 86 cant remember which one it was.

shillelagh 16-01-2007 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 368248)
just found this pic, wonder where it was taken?...before my time...:D Attachment 7944

Took in Haslingden that outside the commercial on Manchester Road at the traffic lights. Tis the old Accrington to Bacup Service. Route No 4.
Take a guess in the 70's it was took

Doug 16-01-2007 00:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 368248)

What’s your time Panther?

I have a copy of the same photo. That is a Leyland PD2/1. No 114. Reg: MTF 827 was withdrawn from Service in 1965. I’m proud to say I’ve ridden her.

Doug 16-01-2007 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 368529)
Took in Haslingden that outside the commercial on Manchester Road at the traffic lights. Tis the old Accrington to Bacup Service. Route No 4.
Take a guess in the 70's it was took

Five or six years out my little sweetie eating friend........but nice shot. Wait for rindys confirmation of the date of the lady's attire. :) I'd say between 1960 and 1964.

The Bus dates from the late 1940s.

shillelagh 16-01-2007 01:36

Hey i wasnt born till 1967 and plus i was taking a guess like i said. But I was right were the photo was taken wasnt i?

In fact its near enough the same now.

shillelagh 16-01-2007 01:45

Got this from wikpedia:

Hyndburn Transport
Hyndburn council, based in Accrington, sold its bus operations to Stagecoach in September 1996. The operation was soon merged into sister-company Ribble, with the garage in Accrington closed and services operated from the Ribble garage in neighbouring Blackburn. Stagecoach was later to sell its Blackburn garage and operations to Blazefield Group in 2001, which operates the services under the fleetname Lancashire United. The Blazefield Group has since been bought by Transdev.

MITZY 16-01-2007 08:58

Yes shillelagh it is Haslingden centre, anyone remember the awful loos there.

WillowTheWhisp 16-01-2007 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 368528)
Hyndburn Transport was still going in March 1995. That was after the buses were deregulated that was either october 85 or october 86 cant remember which one it was.

As usual I'm being a woolly waffler. Meaning when they were deregulated they weren't like kings of the Accy bus station like they used to be - all those other diferent ones appeared with different colours which told nothing about their origin or destination. I used to love recognisiing the Bacup, the Blackburn etc by their different colours.

maxwell silver 16-01-2007 09:55

Iremember the old double deckers.......i fell off one:o

entwisi 16-01-2007 10:31

The old lady next door to me was a conductress during teh war, She also did abit of driving I believe. She still has her ticket machine.

I'll see if I can get her to post some information about what it was like on teh buses during the war.

flashy 16-01-2007 11:59

transdev (the firm that has lancashire united) are taking over blackburn transport, there's set to be some huge improvements, so watch this space

panther 17-01-2007 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 368533)
What’s your time Panther?

I have a copy of the same photo. That is a Leyland PD2/1. No 114. Reg: MTF 827 was withdrawn from Service in 1965. I’m proud to say I’ve ridden her.

i wasnt born till 1972 :D the only ones i remember where the which were taken off the road when they ended:p

katex 17-01-2007 17:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 368535)
Wait for rindys confirmation of the date of the lady's attire. :) I'd say between 1960 and 1964.

The Bus dates from the late 1940s.

Would think better to look at the man's attire here, as he actually has a suit on. !

Used to love the stickers they let you put on the windows, do they still do that ? advertising local events, remember feeling very proud when they advertised an Accie Amateurs show which I was involved with, as per this one, but can't read it.

Attachment 7960

PaulsP38 18-01-2007 15:21

Hello everyone, yes blackburn transport is being sold to transdev on the 22/01/07, transdev have bought the fleet, the routes, and the name, but they havent bought the garage which has been valued at £3million :confused: by blackburn council.

Yes there will be changes, some for the better, some for the worse-some routes will be taken over by Lancashire united and some will be axed (ie schools, the none profit routes ect). This is all from a reliable source-me i work for Blackburn Transport....until they start laying drivers off!!

Anyway this bus group www.darwentransport.org.uk has in its collect some vintage vehicles one being a leyland leapard no 42 JFV 259N so have a look and recollect!!

Thanks all for reading Yours Paul :Banane27:

flashy 18-01-2007 15:50

my bro in law works for blackburn transport too :) seeeeeeeeeeee i knew i was right ;)

panther 18-01-2007 18:12

me fella used to work at lancashire united!

bobthedj 18-01-2007 19:17

Just been on ebay typed in Accrington and there is a book on Hyndburn Transpot on it, and pictures of Sacred Heart church.

flashy 18-01-2007 19:30

ah i used to love that church when i was a kid

grego 19-01-2007 12:07

Loved the pictures Doug, my Dads been a bus driver for over 35 years and used to drive those buses, brought back some great memories!

Ber999T 20-01-2007 03:20

I can recall driving about 5 of the buses pictured.

Thanks Doug enjoyed a trip down memory lane "DING DING off we go"

Willow I know what you mean about seeing a bues and knowing where it has come from. Think I'm correct in saying that Accrington Buses (later HBT) were the only buses with the colour scheme of Blue and Red.

Have some happy and silly memories of my time on the buses.

chrissy 04-05-2007 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 367038)
:confused: :confused: blimey Kate cant say i sniff buses myself personally but each to us own;) :D

LOL Yes I know what you mean, It would be a topic of conversation amongst all your mates....A NEW BUS....great excitment:signwier:

cashman 04-05-2007 16:34

Missed out first time doug ya put em up when we was away,some great photos there, wonder who the 2 girls are 1 of em looks vaguely familiar.;)

panther 04-05-2007 18:10

found another picture on ebay...yes ebay!!
wonder what year it is...sorry but cant tell you with the number plate, probably before my time:Dhttp://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9b/5b/76e0_1.JPG

Ernie 04-05-2007 22:34

Fleet number 25 was first registered in 1969, I remember driving that vehicle along with the other Bristol RE's numbered 26,27,28,29,30,32,33,

katex 04-05-2007 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 419515)
wonder who the 2 girls are 1 of em looks vaguely familiar.;)

LOL ... trust you.

Ernie .. how great to have your comment that you actually drove that bus.

panther 05-05-2007 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 419694)
Fleet number 25 was first registered in 1969, I remember driving that vehicle along with the other Bristol RE's numbered 26,27,28,29,30,32,33,

is the number on the bus not 35?;) or are my eyes failing:cool:

Ernie 05-05-2007 11:00

The fleet number is definately 25 Panther because as I remember the Bristol RE vehicles numbers ran from 25 to 30, 31,34,35,36,37 were missing and 38 was a Seddon with an East lancs Coachbuilders coachbody on it. 39,40,41, were Bristols with Gardiner engines.

mallard 07-05-2007 17:17

they was fab pictures doug that took me back when i went to my gran,s and we all went shopping in accrington they were the good days

katex 14-05-2007 17:16

Hey, just seen some brand new buses as I waited to get out onto Union Road from Moscow Mill Street (don't know whether just on the road today or not ?) .. two coming up, two coming down.

They are called 'Spot on'. Lovely white numbers with a few purpley dots ...suspension looked really good and glided round the corners like a dream .. had the Matrix moving type signs on the front for destination too. Every 10 min Accrington >>> Blackburn (and reverse). Every 30 mins. evenings and Sundays. Looked like one may have caught up with the other though.

Almost parked me car up to get on one ... real cool.. :cool:

steeljack 14-05-2007 17:30

just out of curiosity , how much is the regular bus fare from Accrington to Blackburn these days ? and how much for cab/taxi ?
thanks

panther 14-05-2007 17:31

yeh been in one today going to town, belong to lancashire united, they got more leg room and look posh inside, and cameras on the top ceiling so i doubt the little tearaways wont be able to graffiti on the seats:D

panther 14-05-2007 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 423989)
just out of curiosity , how much is the regular bus fare from Accrington to Blackburn these days ? and how much for cab/taxi ?
thanks

too much probably ..

katex 14-05-2007 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 423989)
thanks

Can't help with the bus fare steeljack, but taxi £8 -£10 pounds on average.

Hey, Panther, did it have that loverly smell ?

panther 14-05-2007 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 423994)

Hey, Panther, did it have that loverly smell ?

:rolleyes: no....sorry didnt notice it, only people stinking of fags getting on the bus:cool:

katex 14-05-2007 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 423996)
:rolleyes: no....sorry didnt notice it, only people stinking of fags getting on the bus:cool:

Eeew hek, that would have been me then if I had got on.. :(

Last drag before a journey.

suzster 26-05-2007 08:33

I've seen the new buses too - very smart indeed! I've been impressed by Lancashire United since they've been here - I remember when it was Stagecoach, so dirty and unreliable.

Suz x.

PaulsP38 26-05-2007 10:01

hello, the fare from accy to bburn on the no1 is approx £1.50 each way. and if you like the new buses, blackburn transport have got 11 of the same vehicles in the same livery!!(spot-on) and lancashire united have the other 14. the blackburn transport ones will be out around the 6th of june so keep an eye out!

this is all since transdev (who own LU) bought out blackburn transport.

paul

katex 26-05-2007 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulsP38 (Post 429301)
hello, the fare from accy to bburn on the no1 is approx £1.50 each way. and if you like the new buses, blackburn transport have got 11 of the same vehicles in the same livery!!(spot-on) and lancashire united have the other 14. the blackburn transport ones will be out around the 6th of june so keep an eye out!

this is all since transdev (who own LU) bought out blackburn transport.

paul

Just a shame now has Volvo as the manufacturer and not British Leyland .. ah well, time moves on.

Appears to be a really good service (sorry says every 12 mins, not 10) But always spot one or two on my way from Clayton to Ossie every morning .. seems would have no problems catching one from Sparth Road to the Palladium and worth considering leaving my car at home now and then. Maybe this service was always there, but they have marketed the look and information on the buses well and brought it to my attention.

MargaretR 26-05-2007 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 424001)
Eeew hek, that would have been me then if I had got on.. :(

Last drag before a journey.

Last Tuesday on my trip to Whitefield I had to make change at Prestwich. The area around the bus stop was heavily littered with cans and fag ends. That council has serious litter problems!
I was desperate for a ciggy and wondered where I could put the dog end - because I was determined not to make the problem worse. I thought about putting it in one of the cans, but I think that would constitute littering too. There was no rubbish bin in sight.
Fortunately a street sweeping gent showed up and he looked astonished and pleased when I asked if I could put it straight into his bin.
I like the non smoking policy on buses because even as a smoker it is not pleasant inhaling someonelses brand in such a confined space.
I know that we smokers smell of it - try to make up for it by daily baths and clothes changes and, of course, Chanel No5 :D

mickmc 27-05-2007 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by junetta (Post 367149)
junetta's blog

Sunday, January 14, 2007

´Meet You Under the Clock´!!

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger...79/Pim0001.jpg I found this wonderful photo during my internet wanderings and although Accy buses were wonderful in their own right, I was more interested in the clock that you see in the background. That thing with black legs top left!

I don´t think it is still there now, but during the sixties it was the place to meet for teenagers hoping for a new romance. There you were, skirts showing your knickers, trying to feel confident and praying that matie would turn up!

After all, you only met him last night for a quick snog at Burnley Mecca! Could you even remember what he looked like!!

I was only ´stood up´ once and I ended up marrying him. It would be nice to know how many folk got hitched because of that clock.

Thanks Doug xx

At one time under the clock was "The Old Bank Cafe", - I remember it from early 70's cos my sister worked in there - was able to cadge some grub when owner wasn't about !!

Tin Monkey 27-05-2007 15:47

When did those Accrington Transport buses cease to run? I remember them in the 70s, but I'm not sure when they disappeared.

Wynonie Harris 27-05-2007 21:55

Think the famous blue and red livery finally disappeared about 1998/99. A sad day and another piece of the town's identity gone. :(

Tin Monkey 28-05-2007 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 429723)
Think the famous blue and red livery finally disappeared about 1998/99. A sad day and another piece of the town's identity gone. :(

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise they were around in the late 90s.

Doug 28-05-2007 22:27

4 Attachment(s)
Like the Buses, this thread keeps turning up so I'd thought four more might be of interest. I know my dad drove these so it makes sharing them that much more better.

cashman 28-05-2007 23:47

cheers doug great pics, think i recognise a guy sat on wall in the last one.;)

panther 31-05-2007 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 430002)
Like the Buses, this thread keeps turning up so I'd thought four more might be of interest. I know my dad drove these so it makes sharing them that much more better.

i take it the last pic is in the 70's?
that could be me dad sat there for all i know...lol

Ernie 31-05-2007 19:07

What's your Dad's name Doug? I was on the buses in the 70s I may know him.

panther 31-05-2007 19:11

no ernie, i dont know what my dad did in the seventies, i didnt mean sat on the bus i mean the lads on the wall! sorry for the confusion:D

Doug 31-05-2007 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 430975)
What's your Dad's name Doug? I was on the buses in the 70s I may know him.

Hi Ernie,

He was Alan Douglas. He was on the buses from about mid 1960 through to about 68/69. :)

I can also remember a chap called Sadat who was a close family friend at the time and a driver called Farnworth wgo live at the end of Miller Fold.

Out of interest and not connected with the buses. I would like to contact a chap called Jim Peters. He'll be knocking on now, so if anyone knows him let me know. :)

Ernie 31-05-2007 22:05

I was on the buses from 1973 to 1993 Doug so I must have missed your Dad by a few years but I did know the Farnworth Brothers John (Driver) and George (Conductor). I bet Lettie and Grego's Dad knows him I think he was on the buses around 68/69ish.

Doug 31-05-2007 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 431071)
I was on the buses from 1973 to 1993 Doug so I must have missed your Dad by a few years but I did know the Farnworth Brothers John (Driver) and George (Conductor).

Are they still with us Ernie? I remember John well, his son was a mate when we where kids.

Ernie 31-05-2007 23:19

I'm not sure about George but I remember John passing away when I lived in Accrington.

Ber999T 01-06-2007 08:21

TM between 1974 till they ended Accrington Corporation Transport (ACT) was known as Hyndburn Borough Transport (HBT)

I was on "the buses" from 1977-1987.

Steeljack depending on where you live is dependent on how much to Blackburn.
I live in Clayton and a trip to Blackburn is £2.20 single or a return for £2.80. Taxis about £8-10!!

DaveinLeeds 27-11-2008 21:06

Good evening.

Is there anyone out there who could claim to be an expert on Accrington/Hyndburn buses? The period I want to ask some questions about would be late 1970s/early 1980s, so may therefore need to be a more "mature" member of the forum!

Hoping to receive some positive replies!

Dave

P.S. Thanks to Doug for sending me a PM earlier.

MargaretR 27-11-2008 21:26

We have a member who is a 'Blakey'(retired bus inspector) for Blackburn Corporation, and who collects model buses.
You will get an answer when he sees this

Royboy39 27-11-2008 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 655499)
We have a member who is a 'Blakey'(retired bus inspector) for Blackburn Corporation, and who collects model buses.
You will get an answer when he sees this

OK go for it :)

MargaretR 27-11-2008 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 655502)
OK go for it :)

Dave - that's him:rolleyes:

Royboy39 27-11-2008 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 655509)
Dave - that's him:rolleyes:

I would have prefered a smile. ;)

jaysay 28-11-2008 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 655519)
I would have prefered a smile. ;)

Like always Roy you'll get what you given:D:D

DaveinLeeds 28-11-2008 15:06

Right folks, here we go!

I'm doing some research into when all UK bus companies finished with conductors on regular scheduled services and as yet I haven't managed to find a final date for Hyndburn, although I would imagine it would be around 1980 if it's anything like other companies. It's not when the last half-cabs were withdrawn, but when the fleet became 100% o-p-o.

As a supplementary point and having mentioned half-cabs, I read on another site that the final batch of PD3s, 166-9, were converted to o-p-o in 1972. A feature in Classic Bus some time ago reckoned only 8 companies used half-cab buses as driver only, and Hyndburn wasn't on that list, so does anyone know if they were used as driver-only buses or were the plans shelved?

Thanks in anticipation of replies!

Royboy39 28-11-2008 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinLeeds (Post 655650)
Right folks, here we go!

I'm doing some research into when all UK bus companies finished with conductors on regular scheduled services and as yet I haven't managed to find a final date for Hyndburn, although I would imagine it would be around 1980 if it's anything like other companies. It's not when the last half-cabs were withdrawn, but when the fleet became 100% o-p-o.

As a supplementary point and having mentioned half-cabs, I read on another site that the final batch of PD3s, 166-9, were converted to o-p-o in 1972. A feature in Classic Bus some time ago reckoned only 8 companies used half-cab buses as driver only, and Hyndburn wasn't on that list, so does anyone know if they were used as driver-only buses or were the plans shelved?
Thanks in anticipation of replies!

Sorry pal but it took me fifteen minutes to reply to this thread and it was lost..............better luck next time.

Royboy39 15-01-2009 16:05

Accrington Transport.....I dont know the details you are seeking...sorry.

Try this link:

Accrington Corporation Transport 1907-1974

Bob Dobson 15-01-2009 16:43

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but many of the answers to questions posed may well be in the excellent book 'Accrington's Public Transport 1886-1986' by the late Bob Rush which I published a few years ago.
Pm me if I can help.

Ernie 15-01-2009 18:55

Thanks in anticipation of replies![/quote]

You are quie correct Dave, the PD3s 166 to 169 were converted but never regularly used in service. I have personally used those vehicles when I was on the Accrington buses but only as an emergency on school specials or works runnings when no O.P.O bus or conductor was available, the dificulty was that the pneumo cyclic gear selector mechanism was a lot bigger on the PD3 than the Atlantean and this prevented the driver from turning round in the seat to operate the ticket machine which in those days were T.I.M 12 manually operated. I hope I have shed some light on the subject, always happy assist.

groove 08-02-2009 08:54

Remember house up top end fern gore being a funny sky blue colour

US Angel 18-02-2009 04:08

I remember my Mum and Uncle Bill Working on the old buses

Vodoo Billy 23-01-2011 15:44

There are two Accrington Corporation single deckers preserved, both working for heritage hire companies. First is ex 57, TE7870, a Dennis ES operated by Buckland Omnibus Company.

Buckland Coaches - Coach hire & Vintage bus hire

The second is ex 10, KTC615 a Guy Arab 3 operated by The Yorkshire Heritage Bus Company Ltd.

Not a Classic Wedding Car hire opt for a Vintage Coach hire.

Neither are operated in Accrington Corporation livery, in fact no. 10 is in all over ivory with black bands above and below the windows, which I think doesn't suit it.

Vodoo Billy 23-01-2011 15:50

In mid '80s I did 2 days a week work experience as a mechanic from colleage at Hyndburn Transport, and I wa told that they stopped using conductors in 1984.

Vodoo Billy 23-01-2011 16:23

Sorry I'm late with these posts. 34 to 38 weren't Bristol REs, but Seddon RU buses, with East lancs bodies. Bristol RE numbers were 25 to 33 and 39 to 42. 26, 27 and 28 were in a scrap yard as late as 30.01.10, still in Hyndburn livery. They had been there since 1987, and I think eventually scrapped in Feb 2010

Atarah 20-02-2011 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I BELIEVE this to be an Accrington ticket machine.

JCB 20-02-2011 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 885439)
Hi, I BELIEVE this to be an Accrington ticket machine.

Whereabouts will I put my bus pass ? :eek:

jaysay 21-02-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 885457)
Whereabouts will I put my bus pass ? :eek:

You don't really want an answer do you Colin:D

mallard 24-02-2011 18:00

they are good photos of the past

cashman 24-02-2011 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 886790)
they are good photos of the past

In the past mallard? they still have em in Rishton.:D

peter thompson 31-05-2011 17:35

i used them to get home lived in clitheroe .When you came out of work at Howard &bulloughs you were in look if the Guy double decker hade the radiator sticking out by about 6 inches . that meant i could get my connection at clayton-le-moors from english electric but if radiator was flush you would miss the connection due to the fact it would struggle to get up dill hall lane re about 1970 good old days

claytonheath 01-06-2011 20:25

Going back to my memories of the 50's/60's, when I used to catch the bus from Clayton to Accy, did the Clayton bus then go through to Fern Gore? I remember it used to stop at the last shelter before Blackburn road.

cashman 01-06-2011 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldclaytonian (Post 910021)
Going back to my memories of the 50's/60's, when I used to catch the bus from Clayton to Accy, did the Clayton bus then go through to Fern Gore? I remember it used to stop at the last shelter before Blackburn road.

i was under impression it carried on to Church then up union rd to Black Dog?:confused:

Wynonie Harris 01-06-2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 910029)
i was under impression it carried on to Church then up union rd to Black Dog?:confused:

It did...the legendary route no. 1 - Forts Arms to Black Dog.

cashman 01-06-2011 21:34

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 910029)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 910031)

Cheers wyn thought i was losing it.:D oldclaytonian yer right wi the last shelter, am near sure the Fern Gore bus was the shelter before it.:)

steeljack 01-06-2011 21:35

I'm trying to remember if Accy Corp ever had a service to Rishton , know the place was served by Ribble on the Blackburn -Burnley and Blackburn- Gt Harwood runs , seems a bit odd that Rishtoners would have had to change buses at the Load of Mischief to get into Accrington :confused:

cashman 01-06-2011 21:45

am near sure they did SJ, seem to remember catching it when i worked in rishton, also on friday nights when i used to go supping wi rishton lads mid 60s.:)

Gremlin 02-06-2011 07:43

It seems they did run to Rishton.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...41670500jh.jpg

cashman 02-06-2011 07:49

yep thought they did, across the road are 2 women waiting in the fern gore bus stop.:)

Bernard Dawson 02-06-2011 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 910048)
yep thought they did, across the road are 2 women waiting in the fern gore bus stop.:)

They used to run one on market days, I remember that. I'm not sure whether they ran all week. Bee will probably know.

jaysay 02-06-2011 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 910057)
They used to run one on market days, I remember that. I'm not sure whether they ran all week. Bee will probably know.

Thin k you could be right Bernard, I can remember having to get a bus to the Load of Mischief then getting another into Rishton

JCB 02-06-2011 09:33

Quote:

, did the Clayton bus then go through to Fern Gore? I remember it used to stop at the last shelter before Blackburn road.

It was the Huncoat bus that went through to Fern Gore , and vice versa . :)

claytonheath 02-06-2011 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 910058)
Thin k you could be right Bernard, I can remember having to get a bus to the Load of Mischief then getting another into Rishton

You had to get the Ribble from Burnley to Preston for Rishton. The Corpy bus only ran rarely. My grandparents lived at the bottom of Blackburn Road near to the Dunk and you had to walk up to Whalley Road opposite the Load of Mischeaf to get the Accy bus.

claytonheath 02-06-2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 910031)

Thanks for that, my memory is failing me. My old Clayton mate who now lives up Fern Gore, didn't think it went up there. I will now have to admit I was wrong and buy him a pint!
Thanks for your input also Cashman

Gremlin 03-06-2011 18:39

Did you mention Fern Gore?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...cringtonjh.jpg

JCB 03-06-2011 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 910336)

Thanks for photo .

Right next to the Ebenezer Baptist Church .

The Fern Gore bus has recently returned to that stand .

Wynonie Harris 03-06-2011 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 910358)
The Fern Gore bus has recently returned to that stand .

But sadly not with magnificent blue and red liveried corporation buses. :(

JCB 04-06-2011 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 910368)
But sadly not with magnificent blue and red liveried corporation buses. :(

True . They looked very distinguished .

garinda 07-10-2011 17:23

Old Bus Tickets Accrington Corporation

Just seeing these brought back many memories.

Mainly of arguments, about whose turn it was to hold them this week.

:D